Compassionate, Experienced & Highly Rated
“… I have met with attorneys who have wanted to “take control” of the conversation every time we talk. Laura is not one of these. She listens attentively, makes sure she understands all aspects of the situation, and then uses her vast knowledge of injury law to help out. I would be confident sending any friends or family to her for legal advice and help. …”
Avvo review by Greg
Pedestrian Accident Injury Attorney Representation in Henderson & Las Vegas
Pedestrians are a particularly vulnerable class of accident victims. Motorists must yield the right-of-way to people crossing the street at legal crossings.
If you or a loved one was injured in a pedestrian accident, please contact the personal injury law firm of pedestrian accident attorney Laura Payne, Esq today at (702) 450-4868, or by sending a request for a free consultation!
Recovering Money Damages for Your Pedestrian Accident
If your pedestrian accident resulted from the negligence of a motor vehicle operator, you may be able to recover money damages. This will help you obtain the quality medical care you deserve and help with any bills you have already incurred. You may also need assistance with Family Medical Leave if time off work is necessary.
Act quickly in order to preserve the evidence before it is lost – If you or a loved one is injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, it is critical to retain a pedestrian accident attorney immediately!
Often, the injured person cannot recall all of the facts and the driver involved may fail to be truthful with the police. An attorney will help you understand your rights and causes of action under the law.
Pedestrian Accident Frequency in the U.S.
In 2014, 4,884 pedestrians were killed in crashes with motor vehicles (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Traffic Safety Facts). Alarmingly, that is more than 12 people per day. There were also 65,000 reported pedestrian injuries in 2014; nearly one injury every 8 minutes.
Pedestrian Accident Frequency in Las Vegas
Las Vegas ranks ninth in the nation for the number of pedestrian accidents with 2 in every 100,000 pedestrians being involved in a pedestrian car accident. Clark County had an average of one pedestrian death every six days in 2013 according to the Las Vegas, Review Journal (Sunday, March 2, 2014 issue).
In 2012, the last complete year for which national statistics are completed, pedestrians died at a rate in Clark County greater than in the counties that include Manhattan, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago and Dallas. This is a sad and disturbing statistic.
Pedestrian Accidents in Las Vegas: Determining Who Is At Fault
Just as is the case with any other accident, fault for pedestrian accidents is based upon the laws of negligence. Although people usually conclude that the motorist is at fault for pedestrian accidents, the pedestrians themselves can be liable for their injuries under the laws of “contributory negligence”.
Pedestrian Accident Prevention Measures for Las Vegas
personal injury law firm of pedestrian accident attorney Laura Payne, Esq, we urge people to use safe practices when enjoying pedestrian travel!
Be Careful at Crossings: Look Before You Step
The following are important safety tips for pedestrians:
- Cross streets at marked crosswalks or intersections, if possible.
- Obey traffic signals such as WALK/DON’T WALK signs.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing a street.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Look across ALL lanes you must cross and visually clear each lane before proceeding. Even if one motorist stops, do not presume drivers in other lanes can see you and will stop for you.
- Don’t wear headphones or talk on a cell phone while crossing.
- Always walk on the Sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Stay sober; walking while impaired increases your chance of being struck
- Don’t assume vehicles will stop. Make eye contact with drivers; don’t just look at the vehicle. If a driver is on a cell phone, he or she may not be paying enough attention to drive safely.
- Don’t rely solely on pedestrian signals. Look before you cross the road.
- Be alert to engine noise or backup lights on cars when in in parking lots and near on-street parking spaces.
Non-Vehicular Pedestrian Accidents in Las Vegas and the U.S.
In addition to pedestrian accidents with motor vehicles, thousands of pedestrians are injured every year in non-vehicular pedestrian accidents. These are caused by a number of reasons, including poor maintenance of sidewalks or parking lots, construction defects, debris on walkways or ice that can cause pedestrian injuries. The following chart shows several common causes of pedestrian injuries that can be a result of negligent owner or operator.
Pedestrian Accident National Survey Results
According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, poor quality facilities are the leading cause of pedestrian injury.
- Six most Frequent Sources of Injury
- 24% – Tripped on an uneven / cracked sidewalk
- 17% – Tripped / fell
- 12% – Hit by a car
- 6% – Wildlife / pets involved
- 5% – Tripped on stone
- 5% – Stepped in a hole